Thursday, March 29, 2012

Creative Meals for Days 3 and 4

After the first couple of days of the cleanse I was pretty tired of bland food. So Marzipan came over and we made homemade pico de gallo, guacamole, and Chpolte black bean burritos. It was the first time I'd felt full in 3 days.

Recipe for Chipolte Black Bean Burritos
The only variations were using whole wheat hi fiber tortillas and also not adding any cheese or salt.

Pico de Gallo Recipe
2 diced Roma tomatoes
1/4 onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Fresh lime juice

Pico de gallo is an awesome quick and easy side that is just delicious with blue corn tortilla chips (better for you).



Vegan Spaghetti
The next night, Guinea Pig was finally home for dinner, so I decided to try a healthy spin on one of his favorite meals so that we could both eat together. I made spaghetti with 'meat' sauce. Whole grain spaghetti and homemade tomato sauce with Smart Ground 'beef' as the meat.

I didn't like it very much, but he did, which surprised me. Even though I added a ton of garlic, homemade pasta sauce just isn't the same without salt...and parmesan...and cheesy garlic bread...

 


Low Sodium Spaghetti Sauce
2 tbsp.  Olive Oil
½ medium onion
Garlic powder to taste
Italian Seasoning to taste
1 8 oz can tomato sauce, no sodium added
1 6 oz can tomato paste, no sodium added
1 8 oz can diced tomatoes w/basil, oregano, and garlic, no sodium added
1 cup water

Heat oil in a dutch oven.  Saute onions and a dash of garlic powder.  Stir well.
Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, and tomatoes.
Cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes.  Add Italian Seasoning to taste and simmer for 15 to 20 more minutes.

Notes: I left out the oil to simmer the onions and used water and chopped garlic instead. Also, my grandmother told me the longer the let our pasta sauce cook, the better the flavor. She starts hers 2 ours before we eat and it's out of this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment